Thursday, May 13, 2010

Cannes Awards Predictions - 2010, Two Days In

Having heard information from the first two days of the festival. I now know what the films are about, and I know the complete lineup.

Palme D'Or:

1. Poetry (Lee Chang-dong)
2. Of Gods and Men (Xavier Beavois)
3. A screaming man (Mahamat Saleh-Haroun)

Grand Prix:

1. Outside of the Law (Rachid Bouchareb)
2. My Joy (Sergei Losnitsa)
3. The Princess of Montpensier (Bertand Tavernier, everyone's giving good signs for him)

Best Actor
1. Javier Bardem (Biutiful) I got good vibes from reports I read (such as one from The Film Experience)
2. Sean Penn (Fair Game)
3. Youssouf Djaoro (A screaming man) or a representative of Of Gods and Men

Best Actress
1. Juliette Binoche (Certified Copy) She soars to the top after The Playlist (I believe) noted some of the poster girl status could have rubbed off.
2. Naomi Watts (Fair Game)
3. Yun Junghee (Poetry)

Best Director
1. Apichatpong Weerasethakul (Uncle Boonmee Who Can Recall His Past Lives)
2. Alejandro Gonzalez Inarritu (Biutiful)
3. Abbas Kiarostami (Certified Copy)

Runner-Up: Bertrand Tavernier (The Princess of Montepensier), Ken Loach (Route Irish)

Best Screenplay:
1. Alejandro Gonzalez Inarritu (Biutiful)
2. Apichatpong Weerasethakul (Uncle Boonmee Who Can Recall His Past Lives)
3. Wang Xiaoshuai (Chongqing Blues) - Heard from the Film Experience report it didn't do very well, but I think that this may have a chance here.

Runner Up: Lee Chang-dong (Poetry), Sergei Losnitsa (My Joy) - I'm leaning towards directors who wrote their own scripts.


No comments: