Saturday, February 20, 2010

Films I'm Going to Pursue (Films Going to Have a US Release in 2010) ---- Part 1

Here's a riff inspired by the Playlist (kind of stealing their idea) and Nick's Flick Picks alike. Here are the films I heard a lot about in 2009 at festivals that I didn't have access to OR movies that I have recently heard of and I am desperate to see nonetheless. I keep a sidebar on this topic, yes, but I thought you might like to hear my go a little deeper. Since this is all I talk about. :)

A Prophet (Jacques Audiard)
Where I heard about it: Cannes and Toronto coverage

After I saw this trailer at "Broken Embraces," I was totally smitten and definitely pulled in. I probably will see it in the next couple of weeks since I know it's in New York and will eventually make its rounds in my area. I think it will be too tempting to wait, however, so as soon as this film is released, I'm going to see it. I really liked "The Beat That My Heart Skipped" (if anyone reads this, go rent it very soon).

The Tree of Life (Terrence Malick)
Where I heard about it: The Playlist

This is bound to be a classic masterpiece. Malick is going to do a great job with this idea. If it truly is from the "beginning of creation" to now, I'm going to weep in its beauty. I love reading Genesis, so there you go. Plus, Brad Pitt and Sean Penn will probably be good, too. This production shot is suggestive of greatness.

City of Life and Death (Lu Chuan)
Where I heard about it: Toronto Film Festival coverage, Grace Wang

This film finally has an MPAA rating (an R for "wartime violence and atrocities including sexual assault, and for some sexuality and brief nudity") and I am guessing that means a 2010 release. I've heard this is one of most disturbing films in a while, about the "Rape of Nanjing." Surprisingly, this is a release by National Geographic. That's pretty weird. I hope it's not that type of film. But I guess, as other people said, "i'll see my films any way I can."

Enter the Void (Gaspar Noe)
Where I heard about it : Cannes Film Festival Coverage

This movie's sure to have great "visuals" (compared to Kubrick) and with an IFC release, it will now be of access to the American people. This film is supposed to be as "graphic" as Noe's other films, so I might step back, but chances are I'll be seeing this one. What a poster.

Dogtooth (Giorgos Lanthimos)
Where I heard about it: Toronto Film Festival Coverage

It won the Un Certain Regard category at Cannes, which intrigues me. I want to fill out my quota of that category (I've already seen "Precious," "Mother," and "Police, Adjective"). This will get an American release apparently from Kino, and it has a poster (an incredible one, at that). I've heard some people say this movie is incredibly dull but I think I just might try it out, as the production shots look mystifying and the plot synopsis is weird.

Looking For Eric (Ken Loach)
Where I heard about it: Cannes Film Festival Coverage

Ebert cited his disappointment in this film, but it's from Cannes Official Selection 2009, and it's coming to America on IFC, so I'll definitely check it out. I've heard some good buzz about it (such as here) and it's fantastical enough to give a whirl.

Vengeance (Johnnie To)
Where I heard about it: Cannes Film Festival Coverage

It has Johnny Hallyday in it (from the 6th best movie of the decade), and it's yet another Cannes Official Selection movie. IFC is quite the buyer, as they're releasing this one, too. This one did receive props from Ebert in his Cannes Feature. His dissection of some of the shots really intrigued me.

The Killer Inside Me (Michael Winterbottom)
Where I heard about it: Sundance Film Festival Coverage

I think I'll probably back out of this one, because people cited "gratuitous violence towards women," but it sounds intriguing and it will be accessible through IFC. Ever since "The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford," I've been into Casey Affleck. I'm just not sure if this movie will be watchable. I also saw some of the teaser, and it was pretty repulsive. But perhaps.

Valhalla Rising (Nicolas Winding Refn)
Where I heard about it: Toronto/Venice Film Festival Coverage

Olaf Moller, the very tough film critic who's Venice Film Festival coverage I read, thought this movie was the "best of the fest." IFC, again. I thought "Bronson" was terrible but I'm willing to give Refn a second chance because this film looks so interesting and so "primitive/gothic." This production shot (the first one I saw) sums it all up.


Lebanon (Samuel Maoz)
Where I heard about it: Toronto/Venice/New York Film Festival Coverage

Apparently a very "claustrophobic" film, I am looking forward to it and its second perspective in recent memory on the 1982 Lebanon War. It won the Golden Lion at Venice, which bodes very, very well. It has an MPAA rating (another R for "disturbing bloody war violence, language including sexual references, and some nudity so it seems set for release here, which is good. Let's give a hand to Sony Pictures Classics for doing this, woo-hoo.


Wild Grass (Alain Resnais)
Where I heard about it: Cannes/New York Coverage

The opening night film at NYFF and an Official Selection pic at Cannes, with a PG rating ("some thematic elements, language, and brief smoking") so that everyone can see it, the latest Resnais movie (a director who I've seen none of) will probably be good. Sony Pictures Classics are sending it out, so it's going to come around sometime soon (this is the type of movie that comes through my region).

Accident (Soi Cheang)
Where I heard about it: Toronto Film Festival Coverage

Apparently Palisades Tartan is putting this out in the US. I had the chance to see it (at Film Comment Selects, currently running) but I passed due to constraints. It still looks pretty interesting.

Spring Fever (Ye Lou)
Where I heard about it: Cannes Film Festival

Best Screenplay winner at Cannes, and being released by Strand (same company as Apichatpong Weerasethakul). Someone trumpeted "What a disappointment" on IMDB, but I'm still interested. Apparently it's "shot on non-intruding digital camera." This film will probably have like a one week release at Film Forum and fall away. I'll try to see it but I probably won't :(.

The Father of My Children (Mia Hansen-Løve)
Where I head about it: Cannes Film Festival

Once more: IFC. I know absolutely nothing about this movie except for the one line synopsis on IMDB: "A film producer struggles with suicidal despair." Still, it got a write-up from Ebert, so that's good. I'll check it out, maybe, but I'm not stimulated/hyped about it.


I'll be back with more at some point.





3 comments:

Adelaide Dupont said...

I will be very interested to see if you do pursue these films and what you think about them.

Some of them, especially the Cannes and Toronto ones, sound like they're going to be above average.

Adelaide Dupont said...

Oh!

And Looking for Eric was in Australia some time last year.

I didn't actually see it, but I do know lots about the story. There's a cardboard Eric Cantona which the protagonist puts a lot of himself and his dreams into.

Greg Salvatore said...

I'm also interested in seeing The City of Life and Death, so I'm quite glad that it'll finally be released stateside.