Monday, February 15, 2010

Ten Worst Oscar Snubs - 2009

Before I do my Oscar coverage by category (or at least I think that's how it will go), here's a look at the Academy's biggest "sins of omission." Thanks to people on EW.com for reminding me about Mackie and Moon, as well as Ebert and (I think) Variety who wrote pieces on Moore and Swinton.

10. Anthony Mackie, The Hurt Locker (Best Supporting Actor)
9. Julianne Moore, A Single Man (Best Supporting Actress)
8. Paul Schneider, Bright Star (Best Supporting Actor)
7. The Road (Best Visual Effects/Art Direction)
6. Michael Stuhlbarg, A Serious Man (Best Actor)
5. Moon (Best Visual Effects, Best Art Direction and Best Score)
4. Souleymane Sy Savane, Goodbye Solo (Best Actor)
3. Sita Sings the Blues (Best Animated Film)
2. Tilda Swinton, Julia (Best Actress)
1. Tyson (Best Documentary)

1 comment:

Greg Salvatore said...

I know that Sita Sings the Blues couldn't be included in the best animated film category, since it has to show in so many theaters for so many weeks to be eligible. I do hope this rule changes, however, since it's easier and cheaper for filmmakers today to upload their films to the Internet versus finding sponsorship from major studios. As for the others, I find it strange when Tilda Swinton and Julianne Moore aren't nominated regardless of what they've been in.