Sunday, February 21, 2010

Films I'm Going to Pursue --- Part 2

Ripping off the Playlist and Nick's Flick Picks for a second straight day... I just want to show you want I want to see.

Black Swan (Darren Aronofsky)
Where I heard about it: The Playlist

Aronofsky's new film, after 2008's outstanding "The Wrestler," released by Fox Searchlight. Apparently it's supposed to be a "melodrama." I'm excited to see if he's going to be consistent in his greatness.

Ajami (Scandar Copti, Yaron Shani)
Where I heard about it: Oscar coverage, Owen Gleiberman's positive review

One of the Best Foreign Film nominees that I know is coming around soon. Kino International here is giving it to us. It's a pretty small release, but I've seen posters at my local theater for it, so I estimate it coming in the next few weeks. Camera d'Or special mention, too.

The Secret in Their Eyes (Juan José Campanella)
Where I heard about it: Oscar coverage

Another Best Foreign film nominee, supposed to "drop" sometime this year from Sony Pictures Classics (beast!). It's going to be at the Miami Film Festival on March 13, so probably after that. All I know is that I won't see it before the Oscars :(, but I will eventually. It has gotten an MPAA R rating for "a rape scene, violent images, some graphic nudity, and language." I think it will have a release similar to "The Baader Meinhof Complex." Good synopsis from IMDB: "A man wants to solve a murder committed 30 years ago."

Raging Sun, Raging Sky (Julián Hernández)
Where I heard about it: Chicago Film Festival Coverage, Nick's Flick Picks Top 100 of the Decade, Armond White

This is supposed to be really good, and it's gotten a TLA Releasing release. I'll try. This is another one of those Film Forum type of movies, about a "gay relationship" at "141 or 191 minutes."


Lourdes (Jessica Hausner)
Where I heard about it: Toronto Film Festival Coverage

Film Forum is playing this movie right now, LOL. I doubt I'll see it, but it got positive buzz from the festival and I'm sort of interested.

Ondine (Neil Jordan)
Where I heard about it: The Playlist

This was big time in the Playlist features I read. It looks pretty interesting. It got a PG-13 rating (for "some violence, sensuality, and brief strong language") so I know it's coming around and Magnolia is releasing it, so there you go.

Women Without Men (Shirin Neshat, Shoja Asari)
Where I heard about it: Toronto/Venice Coverage

Coming out via IndiePix in the US in 2010, this is some sort of female activist picture or something, but it won the Silver Lion at the 2009 Venice Festival. Some people loved it, some (like Olaf Moller) hated it, but I'm looking forward nonetheless.

Baaria (Giuseppe Tornatore)
Where I heard about it: Venice Coverage

Ölaf Moller apparently hated this one; "a poor man's 1900" to him. But I'm interested: Best Foreign Film nominee at the Golden Globes, 150 minutes, "spanning the history of Italy." It could be good, you never know. Summit is apparently putting it out. It had an appearance at the Palm Springs International Film Festival, like Dogtooth, so that bodes well.

Mother and Child (Rodrigo Garcia)
Where I heard about it: Toronto Film Festival coverage

A very negative paragraph was written about it in Film Comment, but I think Ebert liked it and it has a definite May 7, 2010 release date, so I think I'll probably check it out.

Clash (Pepe Dionko)
Where I heard about it: Venice Coverage

I'm breaking my rules: this is not going to have a release in the US anytime soon or anywhere. But, but, but... it sounds really good and Olaf Moller liked it, so there you go. Apparently it has only a couple of "takes" in it.

Area 51 (Oren Peli)
Where I heard about it: The Playlist/Screendaily

I chickened out on "Paranormal Activity," but this one will probably be really cool. "A group of teenagers stumble upon an area in the Nevada desert known for hosting an alien encounter." That's the IMDB synopsis as of now. Paramount has it.

The Fighter (David O. Russell)
Where I heard about it: The Playlist

Apparently is "going to get Oscar buzz." This sounds like the type of film that's going to come to me, so that's good. I'm definitely really interested. Paramount has it.

Biutiful (Alejandro Gonzalez Inarritu)
Where I heard about it: The Playlist

Sure to be some sort of something in 2010. It's going to have a Focus Features release, booyah. I don't think I'll have to go after this one, either, since this is the director of "Babel."

My Neighbor, My Killer (Anne Aghion)
Where I heard about it: Chicago Film Festival Coverage (NFP)

A film about "forgiveness in Rwanda after the Genocide." Sounds very allegorical, and it should be around at some point, as Gacaca apparently is putting it out. Hopefully I can see this, because it no doubt will be a Best Documentary nominee at next year's Oscars.

Definitely more later.

No comments: